Picture of Company Crest

The Company's Charity

The Company's Charitable Trust was established soon after our Livery Company was formed, and its main purpose is to support the charitable objects of the Company. We endeavour to support the Lord Mayor in his or her appeals from year to year, as well as other causes that the Lord Mayor is involved in and to publicise this support.

We also support education and training in arbitration and in alternative forms of private dispute resolution through prizes, scholarships and research. For example the Charity funds the prizes for the Annual Mediation Skills competition for UK Students, made an award for the Best Newcomer team in the International Maritime Law Arbitration Moot 2013, the final of which was held in the Supreme Court building in Westminster, and provides prizes at King's College, London and The City of London Law School.

Over many years we have provided a bursary for a student in the sixth form at King Edward's School, Witley, Surrey (a school supported by the City of London). We also provide interest free loans and occasional grants for those that need assistance on our Pupillage scheme or in other areas of education and training in arbitration and dispute resolution.

In the future we are looking into developing and piloting a 'Young Peacemaker' training programme for senior primary school pupils.

Supporting the work of the Company's Charity is a key responsibility of all members of the Company and donations are always welcome. Of greater benefit for planning and for expanding the support we can give to deserving causes is a reliable income flow through members who make a longer term commitment by regular contributions by direct debit. Additionally using Gift Aid enables the Company's Charity to receive an additional 25p for each pound donated from the Inland Revenue at no cost to the taxpayer. Indeed higher rate tax payers may find giving this way to be particularly advantageous.

To support the Company's Charity please download the Gift Aid and direct debit form, complete it and send it to the Company's Clerk who will pass it to the trustees.